OPTIMIZE YOUR SLEEP SANCTUARY
1. Sleep in complete darkness, or as close to it as possible. Even the tiniest glow from your clock radio could be interfering with your sleep. Close your bedroom door, and get rid of night-lights. Refrain from turning on any light at all during the night, even when getting up to go to the bathroom. Cover your windows with blackout shades or drapes.
2. Keep the temperature in your bedroom no higher than 70 degrees F. Studies show that the optimal room temperature for sleep is quite cool, between 60 to 68 degrees. Keeping your room cooler or hotter can lead to restless sleep.
3. Move alarm clocks and other electrical devices away from your bed. If these devices must be used, keep them as far away from your bed as possible. Remove the clock from view. It will only add to your worry when you stare at it all night… 2 a.m. …3 a.m. … 4:30 a.m.
4. Reserve your bed for sleeping. If you are used to watching TV or doing work in bed, you may find it harder to relax and drift off to sleep, so avoid doing these activities in bed
SUGGESTIONS TO ENHANCE SLEEP
• Go to bed as early as possible.
• Establish a bedtime routine and don’t change your bedtime…even on the weekends.
• Don’t drink any fluids within 2 hours of going to bed and go to the bathroom before going to bed.
• Avoid before-bed snacks, especially grains and sugars.
• Take a hot bath or shower before bed.
• Wear socks to bed…usually the feet are the first to feel cold and may wake you from sleep.
• Wear an eye mask to block out light.
• NO TV right before bed, instead try listening to relaxation CD’s or soft music.
• Read something spiritual or uplifting.
• Write in your gratitude journal.
To Be Continued…. Look forward to the next weeks Pillar to Health!