(makes approx. 7 cups)
- 2 cups extra virgin olive oil (plus more for drizzling)
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 1 tsp. Tabasco or other hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 medium red onion, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1/2 medium cucumber, trimmed and cut into large chunks
- leaves from 6 large sprigs flat leaf parsley
- 10 to 12 large fresh basil leaves
- 1 large clove garlic
- Kosher salt
- 4 medium Roma tomatoes, cored and cut into large chunks
- 3 medium heirloom tomatoes, cored and cut into large chunks
Put the oil, vinegar and Tabasco in the bowl of a blender and blend briefly. Add the onion, cucumber, parsley, basil, garlic, and 1 tablespoon salt and blend until smooth. Add the tomatoes a few at a time, blending as you go. When the blender is about 3/4 full, pour out half of the liquid into a medium bowl. Continue to puree and add the tomatoes a few at a time until all the tomatoes are incorporated and the mixture is smooth. Pour the blender contents into the bowl and stir to blend.
If you want a super-smooth texture, pass the soup through a fine-mesh strainer.
Chill for at least 2 hours before serving. Whisk to blend, then taste and add more salt or vinegar as needed. Garnish each serving with a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil.